Thursday, February 13, 2014

Asian Cube Steak

Tangy and spicy, this recipe is amazing. 

Cube Steak is cheap and easy to make.  This cut of red meat should be cooked "wet", and here is an interesting fact: the Cube Steak was the original "hamburger", before finely ground meat patties could be made.  For an old-world hamburger, grill a Cube Steak, soak it in some condiment and put it on a single slice of hearty whole-grain bread with saurkraute.

My go-to for cube steak is to just serve it with German Spaetzle dumplings and an herb-laden brown gravy whipped up from scratch.  That is a good, easy meal and one I've never much thought of replacing.  However, due to a recent move, and a short supply of condiments, and little motivation to hit the grocery store, I had to get creative with what I had- mostly Asian stuff.  My concocutre did not start off smelling too good, and I was just hoping it would be not-disgusting.  Well, it was excellent, keeping my streak of off-the-cuff recipes that turn out well going.  I might have a new staple dinner when I crave some cheap red meat.

Ingredients: (brands I used in parentheses)
1 lb Cube Steaks
3 tbsp Hoi Sin Sauce (Sun Luck)
1 tsp Chinese Hot Chili Oil (Dynasty)
3 tbsp Classic Wok Oil, with garlic, onions, ginger and safflower (La Tourangelle)
2 tsp Tamari Extra Dark Premium Soy Sauce (San J)
Few pinches Signature Asian Seed Rub (Private Selection)
A pinch each of: onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, and ground ginger

Directions:
Start your meat in the pan with nothing but the Wok Oil.  Add in everything else after they brown, stir well, flip the steaks regularly, and keep it all on Medium heat for about 7 minutes.  Then enjoy.  You are welcome in advance.

P.S. This is fairly hot.  If that is not your favorite style of food, then reduce the Hot Chili Oil by half.  If you want it really hot, then double to 2 tspn.  But just remember a little goes a long way.

No comments: